The purpose of this award is to give the learner the knowledge, skill and competence to meet the full range of needs of older people in a variety of care settings. This course is suitable for anyone interested in following a career in healthcare, intending to work in a care, respite and home settings or intending to pursue healthcare related courses at third level education. This course is a requirement with most companies before taking on carers and is also one of the mandatory modules for the Healthcare Support QQI Major Award.
Learners will be able to:
- Understand the implications of ageing and the social impact and attitudes to ageing.
- Look at the role of organisations and healthcare assistants in promoting a positive attitude towards ageing.
- Explore a range of needs of the older person to include physical, emotional, social and physiological among others.
- Analyse the role of healthcare assistants in providing care.
- Discuss issues related to ageing, e.g. living with dementia, chronic illness.
- Explore the range of care settings available for the older person and services available to them.
- Understand that care settings are guided by stringent quality assurance measures.
- Communication between the older person, their families and the healthcare assistant.
- Understand how to adapt practices to meet needs of people with sensory or physical impairments.
- Identify how health promotion initiatives can enhance quality of life for people in care homes.
Skills Demonstration 60% Project 40%