The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to prevent and control infection within a health service area. The course is aimed at any person working in nursing, healthcare, childcare, medical or any profession where infection control and management is required.
Learners will be able to:
- Understand the principles of infection and the application of standard precautions in relation to infection control
- Discuss importance of providing a healthy environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Explore the range of microorganisms and requirements needed for growth, spread and subsequent infection process
- Analyse factors involved in the development of healthcare-acquired infections
- Discuss the role and function of an infection control team
- Investigate terms such as cleaning, disinfection and sterilisation procedures, especially the decontamination of patient care equipment
- Understand the importance of antibiotics and their safe and proper use
- Identify blood borne viruses and methods on how to control their spread
- Differentiate different hand hygiene protocols – social hand hygiene, antiseptic hand hygiene, surgical hand hygiene
- How to apply the appropriate management and disposal of blood and bodily fluid spillages, linen and sharp objects
Skill Demonstration 40% Learner Record 20% Examination Theory 40%